Tuesday 22 May 2018

Regency Picnic


On Saturday we went to a Regency picnic in SLC.  It was the first ever event I've gone to like this.  Hopefully not the last.  We were way late so all the picnic part and games and contests were over.  :(
But still fun.  https://www.facebook.com/VisionsOfHistoryUtah/videos/1666259280160502/

I actually had started making Isabel's dress about a week before just because. And I had the supplies bought for Elena's.  But then I saw the Regency picnic was postponed due to rain, so instead of planning on finishing these whenever, I had a goal.  And of course I had to make one for myself.  But I was cutting out my dress two hours before we left for Utah.  No joke. So it's pretty shoddy.





But I got to meet Jennifer (above with her husband and daughter) whom I've been following since Isabel was born.  @ https://historicalsewing.com  She teaches classes and is a well know costumer.  

My dress was kind of a cross of these two.  And it was not fitted, not measured, not anything, so the skirt of the white dress is super short.  The bodice of the white dress is too short too.  And in fact I hand sewed almost all of the blue pelisse while driving in the car.  And that blue pelisse--no pattern, I just cut.  Literally did not even draw a pattern, just cut.


Elena's was based off of this and I just simplified it a bit since I made the pattern myself.  It's made out of silk taffeta, as is the bonnet, and I loved sewing it!!!! So much fun! I used a bonnet kit from Timely Tresses to make the bonnet.  I can't wait to make more bonnets!  Seriously.


And Isabel's was going to look like these two, but I ran out of embroidery thread and I have nowhere to buy it around here.  Plus I was running out of time so I didn't do the motifs that went up the skirt.  It was on cotton lawn.  With a bedsheet for lining.  (Mine and Elena's dresses were curtains and bedsheets.)  It was so simple to sew.  But I babysat my embroidery machine for almost a week straight to do the embroidery.  18 color changes per motif x 10 motifs on the bottom.  And then the sleeve bands.  After sewing costumes and how much I love it, I wonder why I bother sewing anything else.  Happy sigh.

No comments: