Sunday 5 December 2010

A Happy Tale

Once, many summers ago, in a place far, far away in a land called Illinois, I was meandering through the fair streets of Des Plaines to find my lovely daughter Ana (at a friend's house) when suddenly I noticed a most thrilling sign. Garage Sale. I stopped, intent on my purpose of finding something in particular--though I can't remember what anymore. Remorsefully, I soon continued on my way, not having found the object of my quest. However, I was beladden with three other objects that I eyed dubiously. Were they worth the price I paid? Were they simply junk? Should I have remained firm in my resolve only to buy the object I sought?


Soon I discovered the magic of the one device. Avocado green and dating from the 1970's, my lovely little fondue pot worked beautifully, and the tasty cheese sauce and grilled mushrooms, french bread, and steak more than won over my husband on the $4 price tag.

The second article I have used frequently as well. Again, a mere $4 for a shining, new, Pampered Chef icing decorator. I felt pampered indeed.

And finely, for another $4, the last gadget, remained, unloved, unused, unopened in my cupboard until this Christmas season, when I finally decided it was time. So of course, I turned to the wisdom of the ages to learn at the feet of scholars how it exactly worked. Yes, Youtube, my friend and mentor, once again you didn't fail me, and I learned to use my cookie press. Not only that, I learned that my $4 investment, is worth $50 in all it's vintage glory. Cha-ching!

Now my story is over, and you can all celebrate this happy day with me.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Oooo! Another garage saling Queen! Good deals or what!!? Way to go!