Wednesday 28 April 2021

Camping in Escalante

This is the first of many camping posts.  I thought of trimming down the number of pictures, but my external drive just died, which I literally had unplugged from our computer to transfer photos to my laptop because our computer was dying, and I paid $900 to partially recover all of my photos since 2002.  Yeah, I'm still in denial about that.  But one wonderful thing was that my blog is another amazing back up.  And yes, I should have had it backed up more places, but it was because my computer dying that I didn't have it backed up a second place.  Anyhoo, I will forever not feel guilty about the number of photos on my blog now.  
So I drove with the kids down to Escalante on Thursday, because I didn't want to have to get up at 4 or 5 AM the next day to get there when everyone else was.  And Nicolas already had a vision therapy appt in South Jordan, so we went there first and then on down to Southern Utah, only I missed a direction from google and added an extra hour to our drive.  Kind of glad though because the weather was blizzarding and the other route was a lot higher altitude road.  So the snowstorm I drove through wasn't quite as alarming.  However, I didn't fill up in Beaver (I noticed right after I passed it that I needed gas) so then I was scared to death I was going to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere with a snowstorm going on.  Luckily I made it to a gas station with 17 miles spare per my vehicle.  
And then we got to our campsite and I was super stressed there because I could see the snow/rain storms dotting the horizon, and I was so worried we were going to get downpoured on with no tents up etc.  So my poor kids were being snapped at left and right, because it turns out none of them knew how to put up at tent.  They were helpful--I was just stressed.  I felt bad even as I was snapping at them. Sigh.  Anyway, I got three tents set up in record time and a make shift tent/bathroom.  And dinner on and cooking.  And it turned out not a bad night at all.  Then Ethan and Kourtney came after dark.  d




The next morning our kids played, and we were going to go to Devil's Garden till Kayli and Megan's families arrived, but when we went to go gather the kids, Jubal and Chezney were missing.  They had been playing in a dry creek bed just down the hill.  I didn't worry at first. But Ethan came back after looking a while, and then we all went to look.  Elena and Sebastian split up to follow the creek bed, and I met up with Sebastian and we decided to find Elena, and anyway, as we were trying to catch up with Elena, we noticed footprints in the creek bed that were much littler than Elena's.  Elena had noticed the same footprints. So she found them first--they were about ¾ of a mile away from camp, sitting in the creek bed, praying and crying.  Jubal said he told Chezney to pray and she just kept praying and praying.  It was seriously nerve wracking to me, because the land was so broken up, it was hard to see very far and it was just empty.  My heart did not need that. So then by the time we made it back to camp almost 45 mins later, Kayli was just arriving.  They unhooked their trailer and then we finally headed to Devil's Garden in the snow.





I have another post coming of Devil's Garden, but this one somehow ended up here. So here it stays.









 

No comments: