Sunday 12 November 2017

Wool Sewing Contest





Well that was an interesting experience.  Through 4H I heard about a Make It With Wool sewing contest that's put on by wool growers of America (just kidding, I made that name up, but you get the idea) and they do county/state/ and then nationals.  Sah--WEET!  So of course I signed my girls up and made them sew.  Mostly because I always plan on teaching them, but you know, without a deadline, it never happens.  So this was my deadline.  The fabric even has to be sent in to a lab to make sure it's at least 60% wool. Anyway, so having never done it before we didn't know what to expect, but they had numbers and had to go in front of the judges with their age division and then go in by themselves and answer questions about their garment and then they have to go change and leave the garment to be inspected and then we came back after lunch for the fashion show (what I videoed) and refreshments and prizes and awards.  Super chill and fun.  Most of the kids are 4hers and live on ranches out in the boonies (having just finished Emily of New Moon it cracked me up to hear girls introduced Maeve of Circle K Ranch--seriously can I be introduced like that someday? Please?)  And one dad that I was talking to has a sheep ranch here in WY and also in Peru.  Cool.  Elena was a little sad because she came in last (plaid didn't match up in the back and I didn't realize they placed so much emphasis on the accessories and entire outfit.) And Isabel came in 5th, although one judge told me they were debating spots between 3 girls and if she would have worn her jacket and belt (like in the fashion show) she might have been moved up a few spots.  I made the jacket so I thought she couldn't wear it.  And she didn't want the belt at the particular second before going in to be judged.  They also docked Isabel for wearing heals and open-toed shoes because you apparently can only wear closed-toed shoes with wool?!  We were also told they needed tights next time.  The things you learn.  Elena wants to do it again and so do I (they have an adult division) but it's always held on a Sunday and I felt super guilty today--so.... I'm not so sure we will.



The little girl in the green skirt and plaid vest won first and the two tall girls below both advanced to the next round.  One of them has been to nationals before.  She made an impressive shirt (the one wearing pants).  Seriously, way better seamstress than me.




Elena and Isabel with the Pendleton Wool they won.  That's $120 worth of fabric right there.  Wool is crazy expensive.  Which also is another reason I'm hesitant about this contest.  Because it's nerve wracking to have a elementary kid learn to sew on fabric that costs an arm and a leg.  Ack!  But they'll get to enter these dresses in the fair too, so that's cool.
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

2 comments:

Kayli said...

Fun! Elena looked so cute during her parade on stage. I like her dress a lot! And Isabel's is really really cute too! They both looked awesome!

Anonymous said...

What a great experience!!! They both did such a great job!!! Elena looked so cute curtseying! And Love the jacket and belt to accessorize the outfit of Isabel's. Really cute girls!!!
Ummmm.. see why I wanted my girls to wear tights (or leotards as in the 'old' days) hahahaaa
Love you.
Mom