Saturday 7 November 2009

First Impressions

Yes, I am in Colombia!!! Bogota actually. I don´t have any pictures to post yet because really I´m lazy and don´t want to load them, but hey, I need to go to bed soon anyway. But here´s my first impressions.

1. 8,000 elevation plus pregnancy does make you feel lightheaded and dizzy the first day.

2. There´s a lot of graffiti here, but most of it is political.

3. People drive like maniacs, especially the guys on motorbikes that not only go between cars in the two lanes but in front and between cars when they´re stopped at the rare traffic light.

4. Never judge a house by the outward appearances, the inside might be very, VERY nice. Although the gated community is a good bet that it will be nicer.

5. You can´t flush toilet paper, it goes in the wastebasket due to low pressure.

6. It´s a bit surreal seeing military personal with AK47s every so often on the streets.

7. The keyboards type different things than is what is actually on the keys. That´s why some of this is a bit off.

8. I ate at one of the best restuarants I have ever eaten at in my entire life today. It´s called Crepes and Waffles. I had a Serrano crepe with Serrano ham, arugula (sp?), mozarella cheese, and sundried red peppers and onions in this most delicioso sauce. Oh, my goodness!!! It was heavenly. Leo had a crepe with ham and mozarella cheese and mushrooms in another delicioso sauce. Anyway, you get the picture. I almost had their salmon crepe, and I was curious about there lobster Marco Polo crepe too. But really, their speciality is the desserts. Ahhhhh..... here´s the link, there´s no words to describe.

9. I really need to learn more Spanish.

10. I liked the street by the main cemetary. Outside the walls of the cemetary were little shops where you could buy a headstone and then tons of fresh flower. Lots of the streets are like that, where one particular type of store dominates but there´s about 8 little ones.

11. I tried a lot of fruit today that I´ve never had before. One was like a cross between a pear and an avacado, and one was all grey and ugly lookng on the inside. That one tasted alright, but I think I´d have to eat a couple before I am used to the looks. I think it was called a grenadine, but when I looked that up I saw a fruit that was totally different. I´ll have to take a picture. I´ve had two other kinds too that I lack words for descriptions right now.

12. Having your car sniffed out by a dog and your bag checked as you enter and leave a store, really isn´t that bad.

13. I am absolutely loving every minute!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Kayli said...

WOW Kam that is sooooo awesome!! I can't wait to hear and see everything from you!

Lynn said...

This is SOoo cool of you to post while you are there! I can't wait to hear more. Thanks for sharing the link! YUM!

Jenifer said...

At least you're not being sniffed by the dog, right? And I'd have to agree with your assessment of a grey fruit...would definitely take some getting used to. I'm looking forward to pictures!

Our children are the future said...

It sounds quite different!!! How exciting!Have lots of fun, and eat a lot!!! you will definitely not see that type of food here! Say hi to everyone.