Monday 19 February 2024

Thanksgiving Hikes at Topsail

In the evenings we went hiking around Topsail.  It was pretty cool because it's one of the few places in the world with coastal dune lakes. "Coastal dune lakes are a natural phenomenon that can only be found in four countries around the world, and only two states in the U.S. (the other being Oregon)."  See pretty interesting.  However, my kids were sad because they didn't see any alligators.  The giant pine cones were a huge hit though.   And I thought the plants everywhere were so interesting, such a weird mix of pine trees and palm trees and moss. 












There was a tram you could catch that would go in a loop to the visitors center, the beach, some of the hiking trail starting points.  It made for a nice break too and of course the kids loved riding on it. 
Waiting at the tram stop freshly decorated for Christmas.
















I think I cooked dinner every night, but Lindsay was in charge of lunch?   That sounds right anyway.  

Cornbread and chili.  Perfect for a cold evening.  I wish I remembered what else I made.  But this was a hit, everyone liked it, but I knew at least my kids would because I had made it for our camping trip to South Dakota too.  

No comments: