Friday 20 August 2010

What I did instead of sleep. (Besides write this post.)

It all started simply. I was looking at patterns for historical men's costumes (they always have women, never men--what's with that?)And I successfully found one Victorian era men's outfit. That's about it.I did find this though. Wouldn't that be awesome for Leo to be Napolean for Halloween. Seriously. That would rock.Or a matador? Really, just the thought makes me smile.Then I started finding these. Old patterns.Really, I adore that dress.And these ones.And this one.And the black one here.Umm, that 3/4 length sleeve one in red, well, I would probably never take it off.Again, the 3/4 length sleeve--I love it. I had the top of my wedding dress entirely redone to 3/4 length sleeves and a boat neck instead of the ugle princess neck. And then I found a blog. This one. And I read it. And I read it. And I kept looking through it for, well, I won't tell you how long. That's not her by the way, in the pictures I mean. But her blog is great nonetheless. And here's the blog from which she showed those retro styles. I can't help but love it. I mean, the girl is trying to learn hatmaking. I so could see myself doing that. Which leads me to the fact that I also found these. I would love to make these. And wear them. If only Leo would let me.

Which then led me to this. Well, not Mona Lisa Smile. But hairstyling tutorials on pin curls. Yes, I know, I'm sick. But seriously, ever since seeing this movie, (which I didn't like by the way) I've wanted Julia Stiles hairdo. I've had these pictures saved in my files for years now.And now thanks to Youtube, I could probably manage them. Goodbye my short hair, I think I'm going to be growing out some nice, softly curling locks.I could even go for this. It's classic, right?And just for the record, I asked Leo's opinion and he agreed wholeheartedly. (I think he just recognizes that no matter what I did at that point, my hair would be longer, which is what he wants.) I could even go for this. But I'd have to look up another hair tutorial.....But altogether, not totally a waste of time as I became excited once again to sew my children's Halloween costumes. (I was somewhat burnt out after sewing several hundred poodle skirts, well that might be a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea.)

3 comments:

Lynn said...

ah ha! I totally get you and your post. I LOVE this! I am thinking that I was totally born in the wrong era. SO wish we could go back to that time. I truly love it all.

Now if I just had me a tiny bit of your sewing skills. Hmmm...

Can't wait to see what you next sewing project is!

Andrea said...

Make me those dresses. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kayli said...

My favorite dress is the first one - the white one, after the matador. Very cute.

And learn how to do pin curls really well, and somewhere over the rainbow when we're together again, you can do them for me.